Sunday, January 2, 2011

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."-(Matthew 10:29-30)

Not one element of one living creation is hidden from or unseen by God. For a non-believer, this is a most daunting idea. But for His children, those who belong to Him, this is a bastion of our faith. I recall thinking at a very tender age, that God, whoever He was, could not possibly see everything. I thought that it must be impossible for Him to know what everyone was doing at all times. Yet, I believed, for whatever reason, that Santa Claus could. As I developed and time passed on, I found myself reaching a precipice of belief. This canyon drop of faith was far beyond my intellectual understanding. I could not release myself to the idea that there was a God who knew everything at all times. Furthermore, I could not conceive of a deity who was cognizant of my existence, let alone my trials and challenges. I wish I could tell you that in one fell swoop, God provided an angelic figure or a deliverer to lead me over that crevasse. I think it most certainly would make for better writing, and quite probably better reading as well. But that is not what happened, precious people. No, quite the contrary . It was a process for me to gain revelation of God's OMNIPRESENCE and OMNISCIENCE.

You see, I was provided with a fairly active imagination, and as one of its more important components, I was also granted an intellect to match. I thought about it. I thought about it quite a bit. But faith rarely receives proving by way of our brains. In fact, it seems to me that it is far easier for someone who has never experienced the power or presence of God, to THINK their way around it. That is why we must renew our minds. "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.- (Romans 12:2) Joyce Meyer once said "We are in an all out war with the enemy, and the battlefield is our minds." If the enemy can control or steer our thoughts we are paralyzed. I was once told by someone (who will more than likely read this), that I had been, since my salvation and entry into ministry, "BRAINWASHED". Young in the faith and still battling my mind and intellect, I seethed for a while over that commentary . But something occurred to me, after reflecting on my understanding of God's sovereign, all-powerful, all-knowing personality, which I had gained revelation of at that point in my life. In my quest to understand the truth of His love for me, I HAD BECOME BRAINWASHED. There was no way around it. My mind was once filthy and covered in the scales of dissappointment and dissolution that the world and an angry, Godless society had imprinted upon me. But because of Jesus' blood, and God's MERCY and GRACE, my brain had indeed been washed, clean and new as driven snow.

But I share this all with you to reach a certain end. I was struggling with my faith as a result of my doubt and lack of understanding of God's ability, and more directly, His DESIRE to know my every detail. I could not fathom why the Lord of all creation would care to know me. I most certainly did not understand why He would want to think of me. But one day I read"-(Jeremiah 29:11)-"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." I was so thankful for that Word when I gained knowledge of it. I could count on the Lord's direct explanation of His omniscient power,and that He was all at once everywhere and aware of all of His creation. It shocked me in the most marvelous way. I was in awe that the same God who crafted the infinity of Space and existence, created me, and knew me. Indeed, it boggled my thoughts that He not only had knowledge OF me, He had love FOR me. He wanted to bless me. That put me into a truly broken state of mind. I felt somehow residually guilty for even questioning His thoughts. But I found solace in the Word once more. "What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet:"

God knows you. He knows your sorrows, your joys, your comedy and your tragedy. He recognizes your motives, whether misguided or precisely targeted. The key to finding the joy in that prospect is releasing your need to govern the position of GOD over your own life. That can only come with revelation of His Lordship and more importantly, our singular entry into His Kingdom through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. When I received salvation, I also received the assurance that God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit were watching over and caring for EVERY detail of my life and existence. I know that God sees my greatest challenges and my most infinitesimal quirks. He disregards neither my stubbed toes nor my tsunamis. He sees everything. He knows everything. That is a powerful concept for sinner or saint. To the fallen and misled, it speaks of no safe hiding place from evil or sin. But to the righteous and redeemed, it speaks of HIS HIDING PLACE and HIS VICTORY over sin, death and evil. How could one not be overjoyed at the prospect of this powerful truth? "I sing because I'm happy- I sing because I'm free- His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me..."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Brian - I love the way you use words to paint such vivid pictures!
    Certain words have negative connotation but are really just descriptive of a process. Brainwashing is such a word. To truly be transformed by the renewing of the mind requires some cleansing of what was there before.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete